COVENANT OF MINISTERIAL ETHICS
Ethical success or failure can make or break a pastor’s ministry or bishop stage of importance. With a desire for pastors, ministers, christian leaders to make sound ethical decisions and to flourish, the Alliances for Christian Training & Servanthood and New Life Christian Outreach & Ministry develop the A.C.T.S Code of Ethics for all Christian Leadership designed to provide a consistent code of ethics that crosses many denominational lines.
As a minister of Jesus Christ, called by God to proclaim the gospel, and credentialed by New Life C.O.M / A.C.T.S, I commit myself to this code of ethics. I make this commitment sincerely and wholeheartedly, so my ministry will be acceptable to God, beneficial to my family and church, and a witness to the world.
PERSONAL & FAMILY:
- I will continue to develop my spiritual life through consistent prayer, Bible reading, and personal application of Scripture.
- I will, as a licensed minister, be a guardian for the ministry, attending wholly to the ministry which God has called me to, making it a point of honor to give through service.
- I will seek to maintain balance between family and ministry and will treat my family with love, attention, and respect.
- I will pursue physical and emotional health through regular exercise, healthy eating habits, and adequate rest.
- I will be a life-long learner through the pursuit of educational opportunities and resources.
- I will manage my personal finances with integrity by promptly paying bills, avoiding excessive debt, and preparing for retirement.
- I will abstain from gambling, pornography, tobacco, illegal drugs, abuse of legal medication, and affiliation with secret, fraternal orders.
CHURCH RELATIONSHIPS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- I will, at all times, follow the Holy Spirit and principles of New Testament teaching and shall be governed by the laws of Christ's love in my dealings with others.
- When preaching, I will prepare and deliver biblically-based messages and communicate with honesty, giving credit when using another’s material.
- In counseling, I will keep strict confidentiality except to prevent physical harm or as required by law.
- I will use direction and wisdom with the opposite sex to prevent the appearance of evil, temptation, or sin.
- I will make sure proper checks and balances are in place so finances are managed with integrity and in accordance with state and federal laws.
- I will not loan money to the church or receive a loan from the church or its members.
(Note: Some state laws forbid non-profits from lending money to corporate officers.)
- I will not claim salary for donated labor unless there is a prior written agreement (contract) between the church and pastor.
- I will minister without partiality and not allow a personal relationship to unduly influence the decisions and direction of the church.
- I will join in marriage only individuals who fulfill biblical guidelines.
- I will use caution and discretion in using my influence to endorse products or agencies. In my capacity as a pastor, I will not endorse political parties or candidates running for public office.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO COLLEAGUES, New Life Christian Outreach & Ministry, A.C.T.S Leadership, Instructors and TVO1IRadio Christian Station, as well as part and partial of the APOSTOLIC NETWORK:
- I will treat all ministerial colleagues, including predecessors, with respect in my words and actions.
- I will work in cooperation with NLCOM, and the leaders and A.C.T.S Instructors as well as the members of Evangelical & Apostolic Network, and will resolve conflicts in order to maintain a spirit of unity.
- I will, upon becoming aware of the serious misconduct of a minister, credentialed with NLCOM and the A.C.T.S Network, contact the Senior Bishop of New Life C.O.M.
- I will contact the Senior Pastor or Senior Bishop of church or ministry prior to contacting one of his/her staff or members concerning ministry opportunities.
- I will not start or locate a new church, ministry or relocate an existing church or ministry without first receiving written consent from NLCOM and/or A.C.T.S. Leadership associated with NLCOM so I may be able to partnership with others ministries, churches or organizations.
- I will not recruit or solicit participation, attendance, membership, or leadership from individuals of churches where I have served as a senior pastor, on the ministerial staff, or as member/attender. Neither will I recruit in such a manner from NLCOM, ACTS and/or other churches or ministries associated or in partnership with the NLCOM Network in the regional area without the express consent of the Senior Pastor or Senior Bishop of that ministry organization.
- I will strive to visit other churches, ministries and organizations in order to build a solid and creative fellowship and shall endeavor to exercise courtesy, wisdom and discretion at all times.
- I will not accept an independent pastorate in a city where a ministry within the NLCOM or ACTS Network exists without first informing Senior Bishop or Senior Pastors of that particular ministry, as well as the Chairman of the Board of Elders of NLCOM.
- I will not approach or consider an offer from a church/ministry whose pastor has not officially resigned.
- I will, upon leaving a church, cease attending, unless invited by the incoming Senior Pastor, and church board.
- I will, upon leaving a church, provide ministry to persons in the church only with the consent of the Senior Pastor, and I will not exert influence or undermine the leadership of the church.
- I will, upon leaving a church or ministry, lend my support to see that the church or ministry is transitioned to an appropriate and appointed leader. I will not discredit my successor and will not correspond with former church or ministry members for contributions or to exert influence in matters concerning church or ministry policy.
- I will treat ministry guests with courtesy, providing adequately for their needs, and I will not invite persons to minister in the church or within my ministry who are under discipline, have questionable character, or have fundamental, doctrinal differences.
- I will not attempt to unduly influence people to leave other churches.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF EVANGELISTS AND/OR MINISTERS:
In addition to the of Ministerial Ethics listed above,
- I will, at the completion of a campaign or city-wide outreach, leave the field, city, or town wholly in the charge of the pastor and shall not write back to members or attenders for contributions or to exert influence.
- I will, at all times, support and work in harmony with the pastor for whom evangelizing is done and shall not borrow money or seek an endorser for notes from the members or officers of the church, or solicit any contributions on the side.
- I will not evangelize or hold services for another church or ministry in the city of my home church, RiverGate Church, or where there is an existing church or ministry within the Firestorm Apostolic Network without the consent of the pastor or officer in charge.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF Outreach Programs:
In addition to the Ministerial Ethics listed above, as well as those listed for evangelists and ministers,
- I will, when evangelizing a field where there is no officer in charge, remain a reasonable time and care for the new work until an appropriate pastor or ministry leader can be provided and take up the responsibilities of the field.
- I will communicate in an appropriate and timely manner, on a consistent basis, concerning the nature of my work, including my needs, accomplishments, goals, set-backs, etc. so that I may remain under covering and be accountable to the ministry which has sent me out and to the ministry of which I am a steward.
STATEMENT OF AGREEMENT:
As a licensed or ordain minister of New Life C.O.M, I commit myself to work in agreement and in accordance with the Policies and Principles outlined by NLCOM and ACTS Network, with the Ministerial Code of Ethics, and with the Policies and Principles outlining the procedures and processes for obtaining and maintaining a ministerial license or ordination. I commit myself to communicate effectively and to combat dissension and criticism. I commit to settle any difficulties and differences between myself and fellow ministers. I commit to recognizing, respectfully submitting, and honoring the governing body of NLCOM / ACTS, the Senior Pastors, the Senior Bishop (Chairman),the Credentialing Board, and those leading and directing the NLCOM fellowship and ACTS Network, by working in harmony with the decisions of this ministry and organization at all times.
I recognize that failure to comply with the Policies and Principles outlining my qualifications for obtaining and holding a ministerial license, the Ministerial Code of Ethics, and the Policies and Principles outlined within the ACTS Network may result in the nullification of my ministerial licensure or ordination. I recognize that these credentials are a privilege and mark of stewardship unto God, and not a right that I have earned or am entitled to.
***Please keep a signed copy for your records with the NLCOM / ACTS conditions of Ministerial Ethics that you are agreeing to abide by.